Artists that have inspired me - Olly Moss

His artwork has become official movie posters DVD covers, video game posters, Broadway posters, and much more. I feel like as long as I can remember I’ve loved Olly Moss’s artwork it’s just the name too. Olly Moss, it’s so iconic in a way. I discovered Olly Moss when I was in middle school and I really attached myself to his artwork. He’s an English graphic design artist who does a lot of pop culture-inspired artwork, but mainly movies. He’s also dived into comic books and music as well as other promotional forms of artwork. He has a signature style of using silhouettes as backgrounds, and also trick imagery and illusions to create very visually interesting fun, and unique posters.
He’s also been known to recon spoof and parody movie posters in a new and fun way which I think is very interesting. I remember when I was younger he became the artist I tried the mimic. I thought his artwork was so amazing. I tried so much to incorporate his ideas of a silhouette or interesting dynamics and movement as well as double exposure type image and use of illusions into my own work and maybe be a better artist and made me realize how important color and, important imagery are a specific thing dramatically the audience's ability to Identify a specific pop culture icon. Whether that’s a line of curve or a color combination. Something in our brain tells us that’s the character and he can capture it in such a way that uses creative double imagery almost like a double exposed photo to layer together in a coherent image.
I think back now and realize that Olly Moss is part of the reason I chose to become a graphic artist. He's also probably a driving force and why I continue to create pop culture artwork and movie posters of my own still to this day he showed me that there is a market and a true art form to creating movie posters. not just to sell but to be a gallery-worthy piece of art.  




Work shown comes from Olly Moss's website and Instagram https://ollymoss.com/ https://www.instagram.com/ollymoss/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keith Haring makes me like contemporary art.

My visit to the Metropolitan Art Museum